Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Innocent In Their Own Eyes

This is one I've had to work up to. It's an issue close to my heart and one I'd gladly fight over. There aren't many things in life that get me this angry. In case you hadn't guessed from the picture, I'm talking about animal testing.

If I had any say in the matter, almost every animal on this planet would be given full 'human' rights. In my view their lives are of equal value to ours. If you consider the calibre of some of the people currently rotting away in prison, I consider most animals' welfare to be more important than theirs. So why can't we test drugs on them instead?

Ok, I'll admit, that's never going to happen. I honestly don't think it's a good option or a solution to the problem, but it does make you think. If we're unwilling to test drugs on the scum of society, what gives us the right to test them on innocent animals that have never done anything to hurt anyone?

Many of the scientists who carry out the testing have recently said that they hate doing it and wish there was an alternative. If they're so opposed to animal testing, why don't they do something about it? There is a lot of evidence showing that animal testing doesn't actually help, as the human body is so radically different from other animals, but if the scientists stood behind those findings and put pressure on the government, I'm sure things would have to change.

Not many people realise how pointless animal testing is. Many drugs and chemicals react differently in other animals than they do in humans. A simple chocolate bar will kill mice, rats, rabbits, cats and dogs within hours, so how can we trust the results of more complex chemicals when tested on these animals? The truth is, we can't. Most of the tests are done to satisfy the law.

A couple of months ago a human drug trial showed the dangers of animal testing. Six men were given a new anti-inflammatory drug and collapsed almost immediately in excruciating pain. They suffered multiple organ failure and were in intensive care for several days. Luckily none of them died, but they came very close. The makers blamed it on "unexpected biological effect." The new drug had already been successfully tested on animals before the human trial began, so it just proves that animal testing is no indication of the safety of a drug.

One day, far in the future, everyone will be vegetarian and animals will have similar rights to humans. I doubt I'll see that day in my lifetime, but as far as I'm concerned it can't come quickly enough.

No comments: